Shadow work is a self-development activity where you recognise and understand the darker aspects of our personality.
The shadow self is a concept coined by Swiss psychologist and psychoanalyst, Carl Jung. All you need is somewhere quiet and something to write with.
In today’s post, I’ll be sharing my favourite writing prompts that I have come across online!
While shadow work isn’t dangerous, you’ll find yourself delving into memories you haven’t processed yet.
Be mindful when you’re doing the activity. You don’t want to re-traumatise yourself. Or confront something you’re not ready to face.
- Are you overly sensitive to constructive criticism? Or do you respond well? Why is that?
- Is there a person you can’t seem to forgive in your life? Write them a letter. What do you want to say to them?
- Is your inner voice kind or critical? What things does it say to you on a typical day?
- I regularly downplay how I feel or what I’m really thinking for the sake of others’. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- What kind of self-destructive habits or behaviors do I exhibit?
- Do you avoid confrontation or difficult conversations? Why do you think this is?
- Do you feel that the people in your life respect you as a person? Why not?
- What personality trait do you dislike the most in yourself, and why?
- Think of a time when you blamed someone else for a negative outcome… could you have been partly responsible?
- Deep down, do you like yourself?
- What emotional flashbacks pop up for you as you work through your list? How does it make you feel? What happens to your body when you remember these things?
- Write a letter to your younger self thanking them for trying to keep you safe. Explain to them why it’s time to let go of that discomfort now.
- Is there anyone in your life who you’re competitive with?
- Do you think you are not giving yourself the same break as others? Do you think you need to be more patient and kinder with yourself?
And on that note, thank you for reading my post!
Your time is appreciated! If you have any feedback or notice any errors, feel free to contact me!
For all things Life Told By Stacey, click me